Learn Poker Rules
Poker is the name which describes a number of card games in which players wager over which hand is best according to the specific game rules.
Poker Game Types
How to Declare a Winner
Typically, the winner is the player that holds the best ranking hand when all cards are revealed – AKA “showdown” – or the player that makes the last uncalled bet, thus winning without needing to show their cards
Dealing Cards and Betting
After the initial cards are dealt, players are usually called upon to act in turn, moving clockwise around the table.
Each player usually takes one of the following actions when it is their turn:
- Check – players can only check when there is no bet prior to their turn to act, and the act of checking passes the action clockwise to the next person in the hand.
- Bet – players may bet if no other players have bet during the current round.
- Fold – players who fold forfeit their cards and cannot win or act again during the current hand.
- Call – players can call if other players have bet during the current round; this requires the calling player to match the highest bet made.
- Raise – players may raise if other players have bet during the current round; this requires the raising player to match the highest bet made, and make a subsequent bet.
Once the last bet or raise has been called during the final round of betting, showdown occurs; the remaining active players must show their hands, and the player(s) with the best ranking hand(s) win the pot.
Players often show their hands in order, rather than all at the same time. Multiple players can share a single pot, with the pot divided in different ways depending on the game rules and how each player’s hand ranks against their opponents.